CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ahhh...the weekend!

So here I am on a Sunday night doing my usual....laundry, chasing after Chloe and attempting to cook something yummy-yet healthy for dinner. I think I have accomplished that goal tonight-true test will be in about 40 minutes when everything is cooked.
So tonight is my last night to eat and drink WHATEVER I want. Tomorrow I start eating super clean, no sodas and I intend on running starting tomorrow WISH ME LUCK-I'm gonna need it! So tonight even though I should be eating something fatty and greasy I am going for yummy and healthy. Join me won't you??!!

Tonight is lemon-herb roasted chicken with zucchini and squash saute with a side salad and cresent rolls(there's the fat & carbs).


So first the bird!!

Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken

Ingredients:
1 roasting chicken
1 lemon
1tbsp mixed herbs(I used oregano, parsley, thyme and a little garlic with pepper)
1 tbsp olive oil


Directions:

Pre-Heat oven to 375. While oven is heating prepare the bird. Remove the giblets, neck all the gross innards. Throw them out, use them for gravy whatever you want-just get them out of that bird.
Slice the lemon in half and place one half in the cavity of the bird. Squeeze the other half of the lemon into a bowl, mix in the olive oil and herbs. Brush the bird with the lemon and herb mixture. Place the bird breast side up into a roasting pan and bake for 90 minutes or until your meat thermometer reads 185 when placed in the thickest part of the thigh. Also make sure all juices run clear-not pink.

Once cooked take out and place a tin foil tent over and let the bird rest before cutting into it-this allows for all of the juices to re-distribute back into the meat-thereby preventing a dry chicken. I would suggest removing the skin before serving to cut down on some of the fat. YUMMY!

Zucchini & Squash Saute

Ingredients:

3 medium zucchini sliced
3 medium squash sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1tsp parsley
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp pepper and salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/3 cup part skim mozzarella cheese

Directions:

Saute the sliced veggies and garlic on a pan with the oil. Cook until crisp-tender. Stir in the hersb and reduce heat to med-low for 2 minutes. Remove from heat add cheese and cover until the cheese metls. Serve with your favorite main dish!


ENJOY-let me know what you think!!

CHEERS!

Erica 

No comments:

Post a Comment